22.12.07

A little girl in the city



A little girl lost isn’t lost after all when she found herself in the love and care of a member of The Strokes. I once was thrilled to know that the girl who was lost was actually a real girl from the movie E.T. she found her way through the blinding lights of Hollywood.

Another lost little girl is yet to know her way in life.

Last last week, a relative who was a little girl came to visit my mother in the city. She was an adopted child of a broken home who was brought by my mother’s brother into our family who got lost when her foster mother (my aunt) passed away when she was young and now had to live with a step-foster-mother.

Her eldest foster brother, who was a year younger than me went to jail twice for marijuana possession and rape respectively. While her second foster brother, Jerod became my adopted brother since few years ago.

Jerod was the only reliable and responsible one in the family. That’s why my mother decided to take care of him before he became like his first brother Jeremy. Jerod had been my mother’s favorite and since few years ago, we were as tight as any real family would be.

I was busy hanging my blinds and trying to keep my new place as beautiful as possible when my mother insisted on me being back home to see Jessica, the little girl.

We once took her to the city when she was 4 and it was odd enough. But now that she’s 12 and know more than 3 words she used to know..I was beginning to dread the ‘let’s meet up with the long lost relative’ thing.

When I got back, I went straight into my room and somehow in the midst of sniffing the aromatic smell of my mother’s pot purée, I smell something weird. As weird as having a smelly sock in your room when you’re no longer wearing socks since years ago because sneakers are weird and the only way you’d wear socks are when you wear sneakers.

Mother: Jessica! Donna’s here. Come!

Out came a very chubby girl from my mother’s studio.

Jessica: sorry, my bag was in your room before I could make some space in the studio.

Ssx: owh. Yeah. Uhuh. No problem. I mean. Yeah.

I was shocked. I know the ultimate ambition for those in the village are not to be size zero, but this girl is more than size 14 at the age of 12!

I looked at my mother and she was nodding.

She pulled me into one room and buzzed as though Jessica wasn’t aware that we were talking about her.

Mother: I think the first thing we should do is cut down on her meal. And then we start on the exercise program. And the clothes! Uuurgghhh! Its like a blind playing dress up in the 80’s departmental store.

Ssx: mom, the 80’s fashion is coming back.

Mother: yea, but not madonna’s

My mother was a true believer that when it doesn’t show your ass, you’re a classy woman. Though she wasn’t as educated as most mothers, she taught me well on how to look good, talk and walk good and for that I’m a better person.

Most people would send their children to camps on school holidays. Science camps, cooking camps.

Many parents send their children to my mother hoping to get their children back poised and cultured in all aspects. I was once mistaken by a royalty for a princess once for my very classy behaviour. Maybe the guy was just stupid.

I bet Jessica’s parents were hoping she’d be like me some day. All trashed up in mesh tops with colourful leggings and my favourite burgundy thick heeled peep-toed nine westers. And while listening to whistling sounds of the unknown tapping my feet away while reading the unphilosophical words of no ones. Walking around naked eating hot fudge and looking out the window of my apartment teasing the guards down at the parking space while pressing my breasts against the window. Ahhhh….the classy girl you see out in the city.

I could see my mother being so determined to change this girl’s life. I could be so much like my mother. I sometimes have the energy of making a diet plan for Sweater and sometimes even make dates on when we were all supposed to start jogging in the morning though none of the listed above were ever been done not for once.

Since Jessica has lived in the village all of her life, I wanted her to see what out lives were all about in the city. First, the group.

The group was having a dinner by the beach show and I was excited to show Jessica. For a girl who overeats, she looked as gloomy as an anorexic model. Nothing seemed to make he happy.

But when we reached the beach and the group started to talk to her, I saw another side of Jessica I thought I’d never see. She looked all smiley and happy through her time being there.

The group took pictures with her and she said her friends would never believe that she was actually having dinner by the beach with us. I was glad that I could make a little girl smile and that’s what matters to us in the group. While being able to be famous and all, we’d want to make some changes. Not much…maybe just a lil.

Jessica knew how to make me angry most of the time. She’d rather rude, she talks like an old nanny, she eats all of the food left for me, she says the wrong things.

I love children, but when I’m not working and I wake up all cranky at 2pm everyday to see such rude girl sitting with her legs far apart from each other wearing big t-shirts and baggy jeans, you’d be a child hater.

Maybe it’s just me now. I have nothing much to do now that our shows are cancelled due to a missing member who went back to his country.

Next week, I feel like taking my mother, Jessica and Jerod to the beach. Jessica has been good lately and I should reward her. At least now she looks like a girl. It’d be nice I think.

ssx

1 comment:

peej said...

hye miss ssx..u've been tagged..check out my blog ait..muaxx