17.8.07

A Day Called Zero

When being a singer and not much of a supermodel, anymore..you tend to grab every opportunity that passes you by. For me, i grabbed an opportunity which only pass some about once and not more – in a lifetime.






I received a call from my former boss, a known rapper in the country saying that he needs me to sing for his group for a promo tour up north when i suddenly realized that i havent been singing out there, in big shows since years ago. My singing life, like my real life, is full of sessions. I may not know what i want to do, where i want to be. Thus i become that someone who people just call when things go wrong, a replacement.




I replaced many singers for many known groups and bands. And of course at the same time with my own bands which i cant maintain myself.





We started the journey up north with the boys picking me up at Boss' home. Ridin' like the gangstah they arent, we embarked on the memorable journey on a white MPV. The journey took us about 4 hours - though it was supposed to be 6 hours. In the car, i had to memorize 2 songs which are not familiar to my ear – at all!





First show ended. Off we go for another show in another state. This next show was supposed to be aired on national TV – LIVE. The journey felt like it was taking longer than it was supposed to be. My body was aching like mad since i just had a badminton tournament the night before. Yes, the supermodel sweats sometimes. Me and my gorgeous partner ( a male supermodel) won 3 games out of 5. We were determined to prove to everyone that not all supermodels are airheads. We have been called by that name so often that we became 'it' - subconsciously. And no, i'm not in denial.





Since we were the only gorgeous pair who entered such geeky game, everyone was so excited to be there to see us make a fool out of ourselves. They went back with full of disappointment. Hahah!




Back to the endless journey...we arrived at the secluded area of the outdoor event around 1ish in the morning. When we got there, the stage lights have already been turned off. Heard from a distance, a guy with spectacles whom i assumed to be the PR for the event said, “Sound-check is over guys. We continue tomorrow”.





Damn. As we followed the specky guy's car to our hotel, i looked outside the tinted window of our MPV. I was amazed by the scenery...which was...nothing! There werent any lights on the streets and worst of all its an hour away from the venue. I was expecting the hotel to be luxurious and right smack in the middle of the event area. Nope. I was dead wrong. From about 20 metres away from the entrance of the resort i could see a cemetary area at the corner of the T-junction. Since i'm the only female member in the group, i have a strong feeling that i have to stay in a room all by myself. Uh-uh - no way, josé!




The specky guy came to me just as the vehicle we rode in was parked. He was saying that i had to share a room with another female singer. What?!?! Is he crazy? I just nodded saying i will abide by his decision. That small town we're in have this thing about how men and women cant be in the same room together. I totally respect that. Since from the surface, the rooms, which were all wooden country cottages looked extra huge to just have two beds in them, i had the urge to check it out first. So i followed the boys to their rooms...and voila!! there were 2 more rooms in one cottage! I'm safe!




In my world, i'm that independent woman who can sleep wherever and wont be too fussy to shabiness. But in the world of these rappers, i'm the queen! So i get one room all to myself. My PA who was appointed by boss to take care of me, had to sleep with me in my room. Dont get any wrong ideas. I'm not Britney. I dont hire PA's or nannies just so i could sleep with them. This PA of mine, his name is eric. His name would make us think he's a guy. But he's not. I dont know what he is. He's like that guy in 50 first dates. Yerp..Adam Sandler's helper.





We slept well. As i close the windows of my world, i thought to myself..how glad i am to be joining this tour. I needed the vacation anyway. Living the normal life is just not me. Who knows maybe this trip would open me up for more great opportunities.




And to lalaland i ventured.




That morning, i mean...afternoon, we woke up to some delish canned food. Like stray cats hunger for food, we dived into very unhealthy snack or so we called 'breakfast'. We then took our showers and rode the bumpy road on the one hour we had to spare to get to the event. With no extra make-up, i was there to witness many many people sitting down on the grass waiting for the show to start which wont be till the next 5 hours time. Like woodstock, i've never been to. Everyone was so eager to witness one of the first events to be held in that ghost town. We had our soundcheck. Very professional, very efficient. Unlike most local rap groups i've seen, we were going to incorporate live instruments with scratchings of our own dj.





We finished the soundcheck around 6. And we had to be back at the venue at 9 pm! Cuz the show was gonna start at 9.30. Is them loco???




We only had an hour to get ready for the show. So yes, as usual i put on my make up myself, do my hair myself..and off we went back.





The stage was massive. The lights looked so great. No wonder they could pay me more than a month's pay just to sing merely 2 songs. I was nervous. Seeing other singers with their own make-up artists. Looking all fabulous.




Since most of my behaviour could not be disclosed to the public, i ran into the tent for a smoke. The TV station's make-up artist called me saying, “goodness dear, your face is already so oily. You cant come on tv lookin like this! Come. Let me do your hair too”. I looked at eric and eric nodded asking me to go and get it over and done with. So i went. And this is where the whole drama began.





Being so used to carrying around my messy belongings, i took my clutch together with me. Put it on the make up table and started to sms a whole lotta people whom i informed of my live appearance on national TV...that it got cancelled and they postponed till the next day.




Just as i finished doing my make up and hair, some fans, family members of other artists came running and ambushed me offguard. They asked for autographs and pictures with me. The tv people called upon the group and that was when i left my clutch on the table and went on stage to perform.





As usual, after every show..a singer will have to endure the massiveness of people wanting to get photos, shake hands or even just to say hi. Some would even go to the extend of chasing the tour bus! Crazeeee.




Just as the tour bus was leaving the venue, i realized that i only had my phone with me. Shit! The bus turned around and we ran down to look for it. The organizers helped me look for it..even the cops! But the tents were empty. Cleared by the cleaners.





I went back to bus praying to God that i will have the strength to keep smile on my face though my tears are just a blink away from falling. In the bus everybody comforted me. Somehow, i have strong feeling that the person who has my clutch took it accidentally. It does look like a cheap make up bag (thank God i didnt bring any leatherware). The problem is, the name people in the industry call is totally different from my real name. So i guess that person didn't know who to hand it over too. I just hope that he/she report it to the authorities. There wasnt much in there. Hundreds of receipts, 70 dollars, bank cards, license, id and people's namecards!!! From the bottom of my heart, i'm sorry to those famous ones who gave me their namecards, very very sorry.





We then went back to our state, all very tired. I was stressed. But luckily the boys calmed me down by making lotsa weird faces and loud noises to get my mind off the problem. Thanks boys. As now that i'm touring with them...they're the closest i could call family.





Back home, i went to settle everything, from getting my new id and license to reconnecting my bankcards which took me the whole day. Now i have all those back and am proud of how much i have grown since back then. Now i could handle massiveness calmly, with a smile :)





We'd think being famous is Fabulous. But the first week of touring didn't go so well.. will i be able to cope?





sx


No comments: